Most Active Stories
- Does It Make A Difference? Experts Weigh In On Added Hour Of Reading Instruction
- Abused Children Find Ally In Biker Group
- Five Anchors Fired From Action News Jacksonville
- Florida Reefs First In U.S. To Be Mapped With Google Street View Technology
- Duval Schools Wants To Address Mental Health With New Position
News & Music Contributors
Mon June 17, 2013
Jaxport Board Names New CEO
The Jaxport Board of Trustees has named former Horizon Lines Executive Brian Taylor as CEO. Taylor replaces Paul Anderson who stepped down last year to take over the Port of Tampa.
Taylor has over 30 years of experience in the maritime shipping industry.
Earlier this year the Board had offered the top job to Juan Kuryla who initially accepted the offer but a week later decided to stay with the Port of Miami.
There was some concern by board members that selecting someone from the private sector could present a problem since Jaxport couldn't provide the kind of salary they would be used to and may leave after only a few years.
But Board Vice-Chairman Joe York says Taylor has assured him he plans to stay at Jaxport for a long time.
One of the first major jobs of the new CEO will be obtaining funding to pay for the dredging of the shipping channel in the St. Johns River.
Jaxport wants to dredge the channel to 47 feet from its current 40 feet so it can be used for larger ships that will be using the Panama Canal.