Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations
First Coast

JFRD Says 10 Hospitalized After Family Uses Charcoal Grill Inside Baymeadows Apartment

t_4d822216099743938f1d3a4176e7ad14_name_image.jpg
News4Jax
/

Five children and three adults were taken to the hospital by Jacksonville Fire and Rescue paramedics Friday morning. Two other people checked themselves into the hospital after a carbon monoxide alarm went off at a Baymeadows apartment complex, according to WJCT News partner News4Jax.

According to Jacksonville firefighters, the alarm was triggered at the Baytree on Baymeadows apartment complex after a leak inside an apartment around 4 a.m. Friday.

JFRD called it a “mass casualty incident.”

A JFRD captain told News4Jax a charcoal grill was being used inside the apartment where the leak was reported.

Officials with Baptist Health said the five children were being treated at Wolfson Children’s Hospital and three of the adults were being treated at the Baptist Medical Center Downtown ER.

An expanded version of this story that includes a video report is at News4Jax.com.