Friday on the First Coast Connect with Melissa Ross Media Roundtable, our panel of journalists looked at the top stories of the week including:
- A look at the newly released school grades in which Duval County received a B.
- Clay County Schools consider suing the state while Duval County Public Schools lobby for a half-cent sales tax hike.
- The city and the DIA say there’s movement on a number of downtown businesses, from plans to move the jail to what will take the place of The Jacksonville Landing.
- A video of JSO officers slamming a man’s head into the pavement multiple times is causing controversy in the community.
Our Panelists were:
- Shelton Hull of Folio Weekly
- Stephanie Brown of WOKV
- Nate Monroe of The Florida Times-Union
- Mike Mendenhall of the Jacksonville Daily Record
The Freedom Festival benefits nonprofit organizations serving military veterans.
The free event will take place in Jacksonville Beach's Seawalk Pavilion Saturday, July 13, from noon to 10 p.m. and features live music, food trucks, a hot dog eating contest, local vendors and more.
Charles Wagoner with 904 Events joined us with more on the event.
The Band Be Easy
The Band Be Easy will be headlining Freedom Festival Saturday from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Band members Aaron Thomas and Gregory Lyon joined us in Studio 5 for a live performance of their song "Escape."
Madison Roberts can be reached at email@example.com or (904)358-6317.