Free legal assistance is available to eligible low-income survivors affected by hurricanes Hermine and Matthew, provided by the Florida Bar and FEMA.
In Northeast Florida, the counties where it’s offered are Duval, Flagler, Nassau, Putnam, St. Johns and Volusia.
People affected by the hurricanes can get free:
- Assistance with FEMA benefits;
- Assistance with life-, medical- and property- insurance claims;
- Help with home-repair contracts;
- Replacement of wills and other important legal documents destroyed in the disaster;
- Counseling on mortgage-foreclosure problems or landlord/tenant problems.
Hurricane survivors may call the Florida Bar’s legal assistance hotline at 866-550-2929 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Those who qualify will be matched with Florida lawyers who have volunteered to provide free, limited legal help.