On this week’s Friday Media Roundtable we discussed some of the top stories in Northeast Florida, including:
- The Jacksonville City Council voted against the Lot J deal. Lot J’s plan was proposed by the owner of the Jaguar’s NFL team, Shad Khan, to place entertainment, housing and retail near the stadium. It was defeated by one vote.
- Jacksonville City Councilman, Matt Carlucci announced he intends to run for mayor in 2023.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars announced that Urban Meyer will become the team’s seventh head coach.
- Florida reached its highest daily death rate from the virus since August, as the vaccination undergoes a slow roll out.
- The NAACP and the Jacksonville City Hall hosted virtual breakfasts in celebration of the upcoming Martin Luther King Jr. day.
Our guests were:
- WJCT Contributor Fred Matthews
- David Baeurlein of the The Florida Times-Union
- Writer Claire Goforth
- AG Gancarski of Florida Politics
Roger McGuinn Performance
The founder of the rock band, The Byrds, Roger McGuinn, is scheduled to perform Saturday, Jan. 16, at the Thrasher-Horne Center. The Byrds contributed to music history with their works from, “Turn, Turn, Turn” to their rendition of “Mr. Tambourine Man”. The band formed in Los Angeles in 1964. McGuinn is set for a concert tour of 19 shows across the country. He joined us with a preview.
Michael Gonzalez can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.