Today’s Media Roundtable discussed some of the top stories in the First Coast, including:
- A group of parents are in court this week in their lawsuit challenging Gov. Ron DeSantis’ July 30 executive order banning student mask mandates in public schools, alleging that it violates a section of the state Constitution that requires a “uniform, efficient, safe, secure and high quality system” of public schools. A ruling is expected in the case later Friday.
- Students attending Duval County Public Schools (DCPS) will soon be required to wear a mask on campus unless they provide a doctor's note.
- DCPS hit a milestone, surpassing 1,000 COVID-19 cases on campuses within only the third week of school — something that took months to happen last school year.
- Fletcher Middle School became the second Duval County Public School to close in-person classes as 20 percent of students tested positive for COVID-19 or are quarantined.
- As the delta variant surges on, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday that Florida has 21,765 COVID cases and 901 deaths
- Many Florida hospitals are experiencing critical nursing shortages, with 51 hospitals anticipating shortages within the next week.
- Jacksonville City Councilman Tommy Hazouri returned home from the hospital and into hospice care following complications from a lung transplant.
- The Jacksonville Jaguars announced Trevor Lawrence will be the team’s starting quarterback.
- City Council authorized public funding for the Jaguars' new training facility.
- WJCT contributor Charles Griggs
- Mike Mendenhall of the Jacksonville Daily Record
- The Florida Times-Union’s David Bauerlein
- Writer Claire Goforth
Black Philanthropy Month
August is Black Philanthropy Month – a time to recognize and celebrate the rich history of Black giving and the difference Black philanthropy makes in our community.
Following the tradition of Black philanthropists A.L. Lewis and Clara White, MyVillage Project aims to galvanize Black philanthropy in a whole new way.
Guest: Ronnie King, chair of MyVillage Project, who is working to increase Black philanthropy in Jacksonville
First Coast Connect with Melissa Ross Associate Producer Katherine Hobbs can be reached at email@example.com or on Twitter at @KatherineGHobbs