Free Flu Shots Offered To Duval, Clay Students
Students in Duval and Clay counties who did not get a flu shot at school last fall will have another vaccination opportunity next week.
Free shots are being provided by Healthy Schools, an organization founded by former Jacksonville Jaguars player Tony Boselli.
Boselli said getting a shot, even this late in the season, will still protect kids against the flu.
“Because of the severity of the flu this year and the flu shot is, according to the CDC, is the best way to protect yourself from the flu,” he said, “we want to make sure we give every student the opportunity to sign up.”
And any kid who shows up for a flu shot will get one, said Melissa Kicklighter with Duval Schools Health Services.
“If the student has insurance or participates in a Medicaid-sponsored insurance program or if they’re uninsured — if they want to receive the flu vaccine, they do,” she said.
Most of next week’s flu shot clinics are scheduled for after classes get out at four high schools in Duval County and two in Clay County. One is at the Clay Health Department.
The schedule and locations for the clinics are as follows:
- Tuesday, February 13, 3 PM to 6 PM: First Coast High, 590 Duval Station Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32218
- Tuesday, February 13, 3 PM to 6 PM:Mandarin High, 4831 Greenland Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32258
- Thursday, February 15, 3 PM – 6 PM: Westside High, 5530 Firestone Rd, Jacksonville, FL 32244
- Thursday, February 15, 3 PM – 6 PM: Fletcher High, 700 Seagate Ave, Neptune Beach, FL 32266
- Monday, February 12, 3 PM - 6 PM:Orange Park High , 300 Kingsley Ave, Orange Park, FL 32073
- Thursday, February 15, 3 PM - 6 PM: Keystone Heights HS, 900 Orchid Ave, Keystone Heights, FL 32656
- Saturday, February 17, 10 AM - 2 PM; Clay Dept of Health, 1345 Idlewild Ave, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043
Contact Cyd Hoskinson at CHoskinson@wjct.org.