Donations For Victims Of Landing Mass Shooting Being Accepted Until Nov. 30
One week remains to donate to the Jacksonville Tribute Fund, which was set up for the victims of the August mass shooting at The Jacksonville Landing.
The shooting left two people dead and ten injured at a video game tournament inside Chicago Pizza’s Good Luck Have Fun Game Bar. The gunman, identified as 24-year-old David Katz of Baltimore, took his own life soon after.
Video game maker Electronic Arts, the tournament sponsor, spearheaded the GoFundMe fundraiser, which has so far raised about 1.28-million-dollars.
Electronic Arts partnered with the National Compassion Fund to oversee the distribution process. The organization has experience with distributing mass-casualty related charitable contributions.
The National Compassion Fund recently put together a local steering committee that will distribute the money after the fundraiser closes on November 30. Former Jacksonville City Council President Eric Smith chairs the committee.
“The amount is a very generous amount, but no amount of money can bring back a loved one or put you back into a situation - mentally, families for example - that you were in before this tragedy happened,” he said.
Electronic Arts contributed the first million dollars to the fundraiser.
The committee is made up of the following community, business and civic leaders:
Barbara Alexander, Executive Director, Exchange Club Family Center
Deborah Davis, Senior Counsel, Electronic Arts Inc.
Zach Farley, Global Player Engagement Lead Electronic Arts Inc.
Jay Howell, Attorney and Victim Advocate
Linda Levin, CEO, ElderSource
Lt. Sharon Scott, Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office
Eric Smith, Former President, Jacksonville City Council
Sheila Spivey, Sr. Director UNF Women’s Center
“We take this responsibility very seriously and are committed to doing what is right for all involved,” said Smith.
According to Smith, in addition to those injured at the shooting, the money will also go to those who were at the scene and may have been adversely affected.
He said those present at the restaurant would require a presence validation by the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office and fill out an application by November 27th.
The target is 2-million, and Smith is hopeful.
"If we can't help people at this time of the year, what a shame it would be," Smith said. "But people around our community, Jacksonville, and across the country, reached into their pockets and have given from their heart."
You can contribute here.