Controversial legislation; Holocaust Remembrance Day; National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month; What's good Wednesday
A bill is moving in the Florida Legislature to ban discussions of sexuality and gender identity in school classrooms. LGBTQ+ advocates say the measure will effectively “erase” LGBTQ+ history, culture and students.
At the same time, another bill focused on education is also causing controversy. It would prohibit public schools and private businesses from making people feel “discomfort” or “guilt” based on their race, sex or national origin.
- Joe McLean, News4Jax reporter.
- Rachel Tutwiler Fortune, president of the Jacksonville Public Education Fund.
Holocaust Remembrance Day
In honor of International Holocaust Remembrance Day, local nonprofit Jewish Family & Community Services hosts two virtual events this week, providing the public with a dynamic early preview of a newart exhibit. “Art in the Holocaust” is coming to the organization’s Frisch Family Holocaust Memorial Gallery this spring.
Guest: Hilary Bettman, Jewish Services director.
National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
January is National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month. To help raise awareness, Jacksonville-based nonprofit ReThreaded is hosting a Human Trafficking Awareness Panel this week.
- Kristin Keen, founder and CEO of ReThreaded.
- Stephanie Patton, ReThreaded’s assistant manager of business development, a graduate of ReThreaded’s survivor development program.
What’s Good Wednesday
- St. John’s Cathedral Bookstore and Gift Shop are hosting a Zoom event with Ann McCutchan, the author of a new biography about Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings.
- Chef Mimi Lan is partnering with Jacksonville’s premier catering company, Chef’s Garden Catering & Events, on a Lunar New Year Party Box with delectable hand-crafted food to celebrate this Lunar New Year.
- North Florida’s Rotary Clubs are hosting Cornhole for a Cause next month to support their mission to do good in the local community and around the world.
- The Professional Bull Riding Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tourwill buck into Jacksonville at VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena on Jan. 29 for the PBR Jacksonville Invitational.