Media Roundtable; 'Hello, Goodbye'; Jewish High Holidays; Nathan Kalish
Today’s Media Roundtable discussed some of the top stories on the First Coast, including:
- Republican Daniel Davis has officially joined Jacksonville’s mayoral race. David previously served as the president of the Jacksonville Chamber of Commerce, as a state representative and as a Jacksonville City Council member. Davis’ campaign has already amassed huge financial support ahead of his faceoff with a spirited — and crowded — field of candidates.
- The USS Orleck, docked downtown in front of the Hyatt, was brought to the city with the intention of opening to the public as a naval ship museum. Plans have changed several times, leaving some citizens upset that the taxpayer money invested in the ship is not creating a return on investment. Over the past several months, the museum promised a permanent home for the ship and tours beginning summer of 2022. Neither of these promises have been met yet.
- The Jaguars are set to play their first regular season game this Sunday in Washington against the Commanders. Parking for home games is still available at WJCT.
- Mike Mendenhall of the Jacksonville Daily Record.
- WJXT’s Marilyn Parker.
- Nate Monroe of The Florida Times-Union.
- Jacksonville Today’s Claire Heddles.
Ponte Vedra author Kate Stollenwerck is out with her debut young adult novel, "Hello, Goodbye." The book tells the story of a teenage girl helping her grandmother unravel an old family secret. The central love story of this novel is the love shared between a grandparent and a grandchild.
Guest: Kate Stollenwreck, author.
Jewish High Holidays
With the Jewish High Holidays approaching and many newly-arrived families still finding their place in the community, Chabad of the Beaches is hosting a massive unity concert — the first-ever major Jewish concert in Ponte Vedra — at the Marsh Landing Country Club at 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 11. 8th Day Band will headline the event. Food is from Gili’s Kitchen, which specializes in Jewish deli staples, American grilled specialties and Middle Eastern favorites.
Rolling Stone magazine named Americana artist Nathan Kalish as one of "10 New Country Artists You Need to Know" in 2018. He’s out with a new album and performing some shows in our area. He joined us for a live performance.
Guest: Nathan Kalish, singer.