Friday media roundtable; JME DJ Sessions
Our media roundtable discussed the biggest stories of the week. Joining us were David Bauerlein of the Florida Times-Union, writer Shelton Hull, regular contributor Jack Webb and AG Gancarski of Jax Today.
Among election topics:
- Donna Deegan's victory in the Jacksonville mayor’s race and what that means for the city of Jacksonville.
- The effect that Gov. Ron Desantis had on the campaign.
- Democrat Joyce Morgan beating Republican Jason Fischer to become Duval County property appraiser, another groundbreaking victory.
- Democrats gaining one seat on the City Council.
And other stories this week:
- Former JEA CEO Aaron Zahn told an outside attorney who was hired to help privatize the city agency that Zahn expected to receive "approximately $40 million" from a bonus scheme he and the utility's former finance chief are accused of concocting in secret, according to testimony Wednesday from an FBI agent who investigated the 2019 privatization campaign.
- Retiring Schools Superintendent Diana Greene will go on leave at the beginning of June and officially retire July 24. Some on the board want to tap someone in-house as her temporary replacement. The name of Greene's deputy superintendent, Dana Kriznar, came up a few times. She's a 37-year district veteran.
JME DJ Sessions
Matt Shaw, arts and culture editor, joined us in the studio today. We discussed music that has been reviewed on jaxmusic.org and added to the rotation on the Independent.
We listened to artists, Laney Tripp, Everything and the Ducats.