First Coast Week in Review; JME's top picks
As the weekend arrives, we capped off the week with our First Coast Week in Review, where we revisit the most impactful stories dominating the news.
Among the stories discussed:
- Local college students are confronted with the effect of nationwide campus protests after the Israel-Gaza conflict.
- Defense attorneys accused prosecutors of compromising the case against their clients in the murder of Jared Bridegan. Bridegan was shot to death in front of his 2-year-old daughter in 2022 in Jacksonville Beach. His former wife, Shanna Gardner-Fernandez, and her new husband, Mario Enrique Fernandez Saldana, are accused of orchestrating the hit.
- Mayor Donna Deegan outlined her $26 million spending plan for the 2023-2024 budget, focusing on priorities such as youth and families, home ownership, resident health, small businesses, community beautification, veteran support and accessible Duval programs.
- The prevalence of domestic violence incidents involving NFL players extends to our own Jacksonville Jaguar player Zay Jones.
Our panel today included:
- Travis Gibson, digital reporter with our news partner News4Jax.
- Tricia Booker, journalism professor, author and former reporter.
- Taylor Levesque, multimedia journalist at First Coast News.
- David Bauerlein, metro reporter at the Florida Times-Union.