Cole Pepper: Seminoles Look Good In BCS Championship, Predictions For Jax Sports In 2014
The Seminoles and the Tigers face off tonight in the BCS Championship Game. Cole Pepper joined Karen Feagins to give his analysis during this week's First Coast Sports Wrap.
FSU vs. Auburn in BCS Championship
Florida State is the highest scoring team in the country-averaged 53 ppg this year; Auburn is the top rushing team in the country.
It has been a remarkable season for the Seminoles. They’re the only undefeated team in the country, they have the Heisman Trophy winner, Jameis Winston.
They also happen to have the #1 scoring defense in the country. The average score of Florida State’s games this year: 53-10. They haven’t given up more than two touchdowns in a game since late September.
Most of the people who think that Auburn is going to win are either Auburn fans or SEC advocates. The SEC after all, has won 8 straight BCS national championships.
Some also point to the fact that Winston is a redshirt freshman and how will he handle the biggest stage. I think that’s a ridiculous point. Winston has never struggled on any stage, and its not like the Auburn players have played in a national championship game.
Vegas says that Florida State is better than a touchdown favorite. I think Florida State wins going away. For what its worth, I’ll take the Noles 34-20.
Predictions For Local Sports In 2014
- The Jacksonville Suns will set a record for most dogs at a baseball game at one of their Bark in the Park promotions during the season.
- Jacksonville University will have one of the hottest tickets in town when FSU comes to town to play baseball next month. Remember, Jameis Winston will be coming to town as a pitcher for the Seminoles.
- The University of North Florida will once again have conversations about adding football and once again will realize that its not going to happen.
- The Florida Gators, by the end of 2014, will be interviewing new head coaches to replace Will Mushchamp.
- The FSU Seminoles will begin the 2014 season as the #1 team in the country and will be one of the four teams in the new national championship tournament.
- The Jacksonville Sharks will win a 5th straight division title.
- In High school football, Bolles will make a 4th straight state title game, but this time they won’t face Miami’s Booker T. Washington, the team they’ve faced the last three years.
- Season tickets for the JAX North American Soccer League team (name to come in the next couple of months) will be a popular Christmas gift for sports fans and parents of soccer kids
- The Jacksonville Jaguars will draft a quarterback, but Chad Henne will still start opening day.