Most Active Stories
- Former NFL Star Jason Peter Tells Riveting Tale of Addiction in 'Hero of the Underground'
- LIVE BLOG: Jacksonville Election Results
- Too Much Test Stress? Parents, Experts Discuss High-Stakes Standardized Test Anxiety
- First-Ever Jacksonville GastroFest Draws Thousands Downtown
- FCC Recap: Duval County Election Results
News & Music Contributors
Law & Order
Thu July 31, 2014
Jacksonville 12-Year-Old Charged With Killing Of Homeless Man
The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says 12-year-old boy shot and killed a 54-year-old homeless man last month in a Westside parking lot.
As reported by our news partner News4Jax, Sharron Townsend is charged with murder in the death of Thomas Trent, who was found dead at a vacant business in the 7400 block of 103rd Street about 7:20 a.m. June 28. Police said Townsend shot Trent one time in the head.
Police said surveillance video was obtained from a nearby business that helped them identify two persons of interest after receiving tips from the public. The video shows the two in the area at about 2:25 a.m.
Investigators said one of them, 16-year-old Darrel Royal, was incarcerated in connection with an unrelated robbery, and when interviewed Wednesday night, he implicated Townsend. Police said they then interviewed Townsend, who they said admitted to shooting Trent with a .22-caliber gun.
Investigators said Townsend and Trent did not know each other, and the killing appears to be random.
First Coast Connect
Law & Order