8/24/2018: Media Roundtable; River Ruckus
Our Friday First Coast Connect featured Florida Times-Union reporter Tessa Duval, Folio Weekly editor Claire Goforth, Jacksonville Daily Record reporter David Cawton and WJCT reporter Ryan Benk.
- Florida’s Primary election is on Tuesday. We discussed the state and local races, including the governor’s race and 5th district Democratic Congressional primary.
- Controversy erupts when most Supervisors of Elections say they won’t be placing early voting sites this fall on college campuses.
- A report says JEA could save hundreds of millions dollars by pulling out of a nuclear power plant under construction in Georgia.
- Several local agencies are seeking a $25 million grant for the Bay Street Innovation Corridor
- A vacant lot near the Duval County Courthouse could become home to a new arts and cultural district.
- Duval County School District officials are surprised by what the cost of increased safety after the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office says it will pass the full overtime costs for its officers on to the district (01:08).
Ahead of Saturday’s St. Johns Riverkeeper River Ruckus at the Riverside Arts Market we spoke with Liz Grebe with RAM and Kelly Patton and Megan Riggs with the St. John Riverkeeper (46:00).