VIDEO: Exploring NE Florida's Betz-Tiger Point Preserve
WJCT presents a collaboration between the University of North Florida's Environmental Center and Public Trust Environmental Legal Institute of Florida on 19 short videos showcasing the city, state and national parks of the First Coast, produced by Sean Lahav, a project leader in the environmental leadership program.
Betz-Tiger Point Preserve, 13900 Pumpkin Hill Road
Betz-Tiger Point Preserve is surrounded by saltwater marsh and features scenic views, as well as abundant wildlife.
Hours: Sunrise to sunset
Stretching to a little under 550 acres, Betz-Tiger Point Preserve teems with coastal hammock and flatwoods of pines, palms, palmetto and moss-draped oaks. Dominated by salt marshes, the area reveals stunning vistas.
- Not far from the 10-spot parking lot rests the picnic pavilion with tables and grills. Nearby is the observation deck over Pumpkin Hill Creek, which is a preferred fishing venue. Close to the entrance is also a canoe and kayak launch. Restrooms are also on-site.
- Betz-Tiger Point Preserve supports plenty of activities like fishing, picnicking, biking, hiking, horse riding, canoeing and kayaking.
- As large crowds are rare at the preserve, this hidden gem offers the expanse and solitude for great nature adventures.
- The preserve features — yellow, orange, blue and an interconnecting red route — that cover more than three miles for hiking, bicycling and horse riding.
Best time to visit
- The best time to visit the preserve is from September to April, the low season for flying insects.
- Bring plenty of water and bug repellent.
Betz-Tiger Point Preserve is at the end of Pumpkin Hill Road, northeast of Jacksonville.
- Directions: Driving north on I-95: Take exit 362A toward East Beltway and merge onto I-295, going south. Take exit 40 to Alta Drive and, after crossing Dunn Creek, continue on Yellow Bluff Road. Turn right onto Cedar Point Road and drive east for about five miles. Turn left onto Pumpkin Hill Road; Betz-Tiger Point Preserve is at the end the road.
Dima Vitanova can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org and Vince Kong can be reached at email@example.com