First Coast Faces Critical Shortage Of Type O, Type B Blood
The resumption of elective surgeries means hospitals in Northeast Florida need more blood.
That’s a problem, since blood drives all but dried up during the coronavirus shutdown.
While all blood types are needed, there is currently a critical shortage of type O and type B, according to LifeSouth.
The blood bank is calling on donors to help out.
Related: Local, State, And National Coronavirus Coverage
LifeSouth’s blood donation center in Jacksonville is at 7840 Baymeadows Way.
Its bloodmobiles will also visit locations in Duval, Clay and Nassau counties over the next couple of weeks:
- May 21: Memorial Hospital, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.; Publix (950 Blanding Blvd.) in Orange Park, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- May 22: PetSmart on Wells Road in Orange Park, 10 a.m. - 5:45 p.m.; Walmart in Yulee, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- May 23: Hagan Ace Hardware in Hilliard, 9 a.m. - 11:45 p.m.; Parks and Recreation Office in Yulee, 12 - 5 p.m.; Mr. Chubby’s Wings on Chaffee Road, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- May 24: Walmart on Blanding Blvd. in Orange Park, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 25: Publix at Reedy Branch Commons, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 26: Walmart on Collins Road, 12 - 7 p.m.; Lowe’s on Oldfield Crossing Dr., 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 27: Walmart at 11900 Atlantic Blvd., 12 - 7 p.m.; Publix at Windsor Commons, 3 - 7 p.m.
- May 28: Thompson Ace Hardware on Old St. Augustine Road, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
- May 29: Walmart in Yulee, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- May 30: Camri Green Apartments on Losco Road, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.; PetSmart on Wells Road in Orange Park, 10:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; PetSmart on San Jose Boulevard, 2:30 - 6:30 p.m.
- May 31: Lowe’s on Phlips Highway, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.; Best Buy on Southside Blvd., 1:45 - 6 p.m.; Dollar Tree on Atlantic Blvd., 11:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
- WJCT's Bill Bortzfield contributed to this story.