Jacksonville Announces 6 Fireworks Launch Locations For 4th Of July
This year the city of Jacksonville is expanding its fireworks show to six locations around town.
The city announced that in addition to the Downtown fireworks, this year displays will also be launched from:
- The St. Johns Town Center
- Northside: FSCJ North Campus
- Southside: The Avenues Mall
- Westside: Normandy/Lem Merrett Park
- Arlington: Ed Austin Regional Park
Earlier this month Mayor Lenny Curry announced this year there would be displays across the city so people can spread out.
“We want to ensure those locations offer great vantage points but will allow for proper social distancing while we celebrate the birth of our nation,” Curry said on June 4.
Downtown's show will be the first fireworks display the city has hosted since demolition was completed at The Jacksonville Landing.
City spokeswoman Nikki Kimbleton told WJCT News Thursday afternoon that the new lawn at the former Landing site will be opened to the public in time for the fireworks display.
However, she stressed that, as with other viewing areas along the North and South banks that everyone will need to practice social distancing.
The displays will begin at 9:45 p.m. at all six locations.
For people heading to the Downtown display, a few traffic notes:
- The easternmost northbound lane on the Acosta Bridge will be closed from noon – 11:59 p.m. on July 4.
- The Acosta Bridge will fully close at 9:15 p.m. and will open once all firework trailers and debris are cleared.
- The Main Street Bridge will be closed from 9:15 p.m. - 10:15 p.m. All other bridges will be open.