Midterm results, Tropical Storm Nicole; Together Strong Community Fund; 'Slow Birding'; What’s Good Wednesday
The historic 2022 midterm elections reflected a Republican sweep across Florida, with Republican candidates achieving major victories in both local and statewide races. The biggest Republican wins included Gov. Ron DeSantis and U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio. In the race for Jacksonville sheriff, Republican T.K. Waters beat Democrat Lakesha Burton. However, the national political picture does not show the expected red wave.
Tropical Storm Nicole
Tropical Storm Nicole is already having an effect on Florida, and it is expected to become a hurricane before hitting the South Florida coast Wednesday evening. Florida is still dealing with the aftermath of Hurricane Ian from September.
There is an easy way for someone to reduce stress by checking out the birds in your backyard. In the last few years, many people have stepped outside and discovered birding. Evolutionary biologist and author Joan Strassmann spoke with us about this trending hobby. Although birding has exploded as a hobby, many people are intimidated with the demands of traditional birding guides. The new book "Slow Birding" is a one-of-a-kind guide to birding locally that encourages us to slow down and notice the spectacular birds in everyday places.
Together Strong Community Fund
Jacksonville is still reeling from a recent upsurge in antisemitic hate speech. In response, the Jewish Federation & Foundation of Northeast Florida is making a bold move. The organization recently announced the Together Strong Community Fund with a $1 million donation established to address antisemitism and to help bring the community together. David Miller, the executive chairman of Brightway Insurance, spoke with us in the studio about the details of this initiative. Miller is the donor who is getting the fund going.
What’s Good Wednesday
- Jax Podcasters United is having a meetup for people who want to start their own podcasts. The meetup is scheduled from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 17. Founder Badr Milligan spoke with us about the group.
- The Jazz At Lincoln Center On The Road Tour is in town through Friday doing masterclasses and concerts. As a special on Veterans Day, they are hosting a free masterclass and concert at the Jacksonville Arts & Music School from 2 to 5 p.m. Guests are encouraged to bring lawn chairs for a wonderful Veterans Day Jazz Festival. This event will feature the John Lumpkin Institute, JAMS Jazz Combo and the Jazz At Lincoln Center On The Road Group. Weather permitting, this event will still occur.
- Tour de Farm returns to the First Coast this Sunday. Guests can join Slow Food First Coast for a memorable tour of small farms in Palm Valley. Farm partners will offer food, plant and craft options for sale. First Coast Connect offered a giveaway to listeners for this event — a virtual car pass to enjoy the tour. The giveaway was a $35 dollar value and good for one car with either four adults or a family.
- VyStar Credit Union launched its Good is Everywhere celebration to highlight the credit union’s deep support for its members and the communities it serves. The celebration has three main components: free admission days, employee volunteer activities and donations to community partners.
Free admission days are open to the entire community and include admission to the following places:
- Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens.
- MOCA Jacksonville.
- Jacksonville Naval Museum’s USS Orleck.
- Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens.
- Cummer Museum of Arts & Gardens.
- Museum of Science and History.
- Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens (Sanford).
- Cade Museum for Creativity & Invention (Gainesville).
- The St. Johns Blend is a collaboration between Bold Bean Coffee Roasters and the St. Johns Riverkeeper. Fifteen percent of the proceeds from the sale of the coffee will go to support St. Johns Riverkeeper. The coffee will sell for $17 per bag, and 500 bags are available. The coffee is a blend from Central America. It has flavor notes of chocolate, caramel and vanilla. The partnership will run until the coffee sells out. First Coast Connect had a giveaway for one bag and a mug from the partnership.