Most Active Stories
- Former NFL Star Jason Peter Tells Riveting Tale of Addiction in 'Hero of the Underground'
- LIVE BLOG: Jacksonville Election Results
- Too Much Test Stress? Parents, Experts Discuss High-Stakes Standardized Test Anxiety
- First-Ever Jacksonville GastroFest Draws Thousands Downtown
- FCC Recap: Duval County Election Results
News & Music Contributors
Wed August 27, 2014
Recounts Likely In Two Close Races
Two races from Tuesday night’s election are still too close to call.
Election officials expect to conduct recounts in those tight races, the Florida House District 15 contest between Republicans Jay Fant and Paul Renner and Duval County School Board District 2, which would determine whether Sam Hall or Theresa Graham will head into a runoff election with Scott Shine.
“Recounts are rare,” said Supervisor of Elections Jerry Holland. “ We’ve only done one in the last nine years. This is the first time we’ve had two at the same time.”
He said reviewing the undervotes can be tricky and will take the most time.
“The undervotes are the ballots that were cast without a vote being registered,” Holland said. “And we’ve got to determine if - in those ballots - was there an indication that the voter circled the candidate instead of checking them off or did something like that.”
Holland hopes to announce the winners on Friday afternoon.
You can follow Peter Haden on Twitter @HadenMedia