Most Active Stories
- Florida Gov. Scott Signs Repeal Of Gay-Adoption Ban, Despite Vocal Opposition
- City Council Puts Up Roadblocks For Medical Marijuana Coming To Jacksonville
- Floridians Weigh Impact Of Upcoming SCOTUS Decisions On Gay Marriage, Obamacare
- Abused Children Find Ally In Biker Group
- Jacksonville City Council Passes Pension Reform Bill
News & Music Contributors
Thu September 19, 2013
State Road 9B Open In Jacksonville
After more than three years of construction, the northbound lanes of State Road 9B from Phillips Highway (U.S. 1) to the I-295 East Beltway opened to travelers this morning and southbound lanes scheduled to open later tonight.
According to a release, the road will initially be opened as a four-lane limited access highway, similar to an interstate. The section opened today has the ability to expand to six lanes in the future with minimal disruption to the public.
The $75 million roadway is expected to help alleviate traffic congestion for motorists traveling between Duval and St. Johns Counties.
Work continues on the second segment of State Road 9B from Philips Highway to I-95. The $95 million project is scheduled to open in summer 2016. Work on the newly opened section began in July 2010.
Law & Order