Most Active Stories
- Researchers Find Error In Teacher Study; Duval Co. Lower Than Originally Reported
- Protesters Block Interstate 95 Near Emerson
- Candy Apple Cafe Opens Next To Sweet Pete's In Old Seminole Club
- BREAKING: Interstate-Blocking Protesters Marching On Hart Bridge In Jacksonville
- Too Much Test Stress? Parents, Experts Discuss High-Stakes Standardized Test Anxiety
News & Music Contributors
Thu September 19, 2013
State Road 9B Open In Jacksonville
After more than three years of construction, the northbound lanes of State Road 9B from Phillips Highway (U.S. 1) to the I-295 East Beltway opened to travelers this morning and southbound lanes scheduled to open later tonight.
According to a release, the road will initially be opened as a four-lane limited access highway, similar to an interstate. The section opened today has the ability to expand to six lanes in the future with minimal disruption to the public.
The $75 million roadway is expected to help alleviate traffic congestion for motorists traveling between Duval and St. Johns Counties.
Work continues on the second segment of State Road 9B from Philips Highway to I-95. The $95 million project is scheduled to open in summer 2016. Work on the newly opened section began in July 2010.
Law & Order