Ask Deemable Tech: How Do I Block Spam Text Messages?
Norma writes, "How do you stop receiving an automated text message? When I got my new phone I started receiving messages from a store telling me about their specials. I've tried visiting the website and 'unsubscribing' but that didn't work. "
We feel you, Norma. Like junk mail and spam email, unsolicited text messages are the bane of our existence. Luckily there are ways to stop them.
If you’re receiving texts from a reputable company, there should be a way to unsubscribe from them through a text. Scroll back through the text messages from that number, and you’ll probably find a message telling you to text the word “STOP,” “QUIT,” “END,” or “UNSUBSCRIBE” to stop receiving texts from them. Different companies use different keywords, but most of the time if you text the word “HELP” to them, they will tell you what other keywords work on their system.
If you’re receiving genuine spam texts from a less than reputable source, the best thing you can do is to not respond. This just lets the scammers know that your number is a good one to keep spamming. Your only choice is to block the number sending you those texts.
How to Block Numbers on iOS
- Open the offending text message
- Tap Details
- Tape the “i” button in the top right
- Tap “Block this Caller”
How to Block Numbers on Android
- Find the text message you want to block in the Message app
- Press and hold it until a pop up appears
- Tap the “Block it as spam” option
If you’re using a regular cell phone, you’ll have to block the texts through your carrier.
- To report spam text messages on AT&T, forward the offending text message to 7726 (SPAM).
- You can also call their customer service at 1-800-331-0500 to report spam.
- Follow these directions on Sprint’s site to block numbers
- Or call customer service at 1-888-211-4727
- Call 1-800-922-0204 to report the spam to customer service
- Call customer service at 1-877-453-1304
- Or use their live chat to block the number
Do you have a question for Ask Deemable Tech? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.