The city of Jacksonville’s Housing and Community Development Division plans to distribute more than $4 million of federal funds to Duval County residents to help those who have fallen behind in mortgage payments due to a loss of income related to COVID-19.
Jeff Winkler, Head of Basic Needs, Community Impact for the United Way of Northeast Florida, is on the line now with more.
50 Year Journalist
A 50 year career at The Florida Times-Union will be celebrated Thursday evening. Former editorial page editor Mike Clark will be honored at a special event that benefits the First Amendment Foundation.
Clark talked about his experiences as a journalist and the importance of maintaining the Fourth Estate as newspapers face staffing cuts and financial challenges.
St. Augustine Food + Wine Festival
A four-day food and drink showcase will arrive in early May. Celebrity chefs, artisans and farmers will be on hand. Local craft spirits and beers will also be available. Jan Gourley, one of the organizers joined us.
What’s Good Wednesday
This week’s good news includes:
- Shop Temporium in San Marco will sell vaccination pins to people who have gotten the COVID-19 vaccination. The pins were made by local manufacturers, Wild Child Hat Co.
- Memorial Hospital in Jacksonville a year of the pandemic with a Flag of Hope Ceremony. Next Wednesday, April 7, the hospital will display yellow flags of hope as a way to remember the year that’s passed, and a hopeful look into the year ahead.
- WTS Northeast Florida Chapter announced Executive Woman of the Year: Jannet M. Walker-Ford.
- United States representatives John Rutherford (R-FL4) and Michael Waltz (R-FL6) attended a special event in the St. Augustine Lighthouse & Maritime Museum to announce a federal bill to create the Nation's Oldest Port National Heritage Area.
- Big Fish Power Yoga, which has been based in Jax Beach for the last 10 years, will move away from a traditional studio model and go virtual.
- A Jacksonville native is recognized for saving a shipmate's life.
For more good news, subscribe to our weekly newsletter.
Michael Gonzalez can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.