Confederate monuments; MOSH's new location; Tobacco-Free Florida Week; Women Writing for (a) Change; What’s good Wednesday
Jacksonville City Councilman Aaron Bowman is calling for a series of community conversations on Confederate monuments in public spaces. He wants the process run by professional facilitators from the University of Virginia.
Bowman’s plan is for the city to appoint a five-member council of local leaders who would work with UVA’s Institute for Engagement and Negotiation.
MOSH announces a new location
The Museum of Science and History is out with new renderings showing its vision for a new museum on the Northbank of the St. Johns River.
Tobacco-Free Florida Week
This week is Tobacco Free Florida Week. This year’s theme is “Mental Health Equals Mental Wealth: Overcoming the Influences of Tobacco on the Mind.” Tobacco-Free Florida is emphasizing the benefits of quitting tobacco products for those with mental illness.
Guest: Constance Desmore, community engagement manager, Tobacco Free Florida.
Women Writing for (a) Change
Women Writing for (a) Change Jacksonville is pleased to announce its first annual Author Showcase and Book Festival to bring readers and women writers together. The one-day event is free and open to the public on Saturday in Riverside.
What’s good Wednesday
- The Historic Springfield Tour of Homes and Gardens is this weekend. Get your tickets now for this two-day event celebrating the city’s oldest neighborhood. Saturday at 1 pm, guests can also participate in a guided bicycle tour free with the purchase of a regular Tour of Homes ticket. This event is BYOB — bring your own bike. Contact Leigh at (904) 945-1571 for more.
- The Jacksonville FrontRunners/Walkers is an LGBTQA running/walking/social group that meets every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. and Saturday at 8 a.m. at Memorial Park.
- NFL Great Tom Coughlin will host his 27th Annual Celebrity Golf Classic at TPC Sawgrass. The Celebrity Golf Classic raises money for the Jay Fund, which goes toward families of children with cancer so they are there for their children.
- The Jacksonville Dance Theatre announced its 10th-anniversary concert Saturday night at the historic Florida Theatre. The show will highlight the range of athletic, entertaining and eclectic works the company is known for, as well as the growth and strength of this local modern dance company.
- Creative Liberty 2022 is taking place tomorrow right here at the WJCT Soundstage. JAMS musicians, vocalists, dancers, filmmakers and artists will travel to the AfroFuture, a world of creative innovation where they can thrive. The doors open at 6:30 PM and the show begins at 7 PM.
- “Everybody’s Favorite Barbeque and Hot Sauce Festival” begins this Friday at 6 PM and runs through Sunday at the Orange Park Mall. The nationwide festival highlights the country’s best barbecue vendors and honors a different musical legend each day. Orange Park’s event honors local K-12 teachers who will be awarded a “Metal of Honor” for their work.