Media roundtable; Jacksonville’s bicentennial
Today’s Media Roundtable discussed some of the top stories in the First Coast, including:
- This August, the city of Jacksonville will hold a special election to pick the next sheriff until the 2023 general elections. Gov. Ron DeSantis appointed Pat Ivey, JSO Undersheriff, to fill the role after former Sheriff Mike Williams moved out of Duval County.
- A “Ron DeSantis Flotilla'' is scheduled to take place on the St. Johns River here in Jax on Saturday, coinciding with both the city’s bicentennial celebrations and a planned confederate monument protest.
- Meanwhile, the governor beat former President Trump, for the second year in a row, in a conservative summit’s 2024 presidential election straw poll.
- The 904 is no longer the only area code in #Duuuval. Moving forward, new phone numbers here in Northeast Florida will start with a 324 area code.
- Last night, the Nassau County School Board voted to move forward with its plans to raise teachers' pay by raising property taxes.
- Raymon Troncoso, WJCT News.
- Anne Schindler, First Coast News.
- Nikesha Williams, Jacksonville Today.
- AG Gancarski, Florida Politics and Jacksonville Today.
On Saturday, Jacksonville will celebrate its bicentennial with a street party that stretches from James Weldon Johnson Park down Laura Street to Riverfront Plaza.