Most Active Stories
- Researchers Find Error In Teacher Study; Duval Co. Lower Than Originally Reported
- Protesters Block Interstate 95 Near Emerson
- Candy Apple Cafe Opens Next To Sweet Pete's In Old Seminole Club
- BREAKING: Interstate-Blocking Protesters Marching On Hart Bridge In Jacksonville
- Too Much Test Stress? Parents, Experts Discuss High-Stakes Standardized Test Anxiety
News & Music Contributors
Mon December 30, 2013
Florida Population On Pace to Surpass New York In 2014
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — Florida is nipping at New York State's heels.
New Census figures released Monday show New York State has less than a 100,000-person lead in population over Florida.
The Census estimates capture both states' populations on July 1st of this year.
The estimates put New York State's population at 19.6 million residents and Florida with 19.5 million residents.
Based on those estimates, Florida is adding a little more than 19,000 residents a month and New York State is growing by 6,200 people monthly.
If the growth remains the same, Florida could surpass New York State by the first quarter of 2014, becoming the nation's third most-populous state.
Only California and Texas will have larger populations.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
Law & Order